The nutritional quality of the products as well as microbiological and sensory quality are essential factors in the food industry. The thermal processing of canned food is the most important step in the canning procedure. Currently, a large quantity of canned goods is rejected during production and has to be destroyed or reprocessed due to inefficient performances of sterilization. Sterilization is a critical process since it may influence the quality and safety of the food. Only optimal processing conditions through the proper application of the F-value approach in sterilization allows to optimize the balance between food safety and quality requirements.
• Sterilization process improvements: – Temperature uniformity: ∆T max 1 °C during sterilization
– F0 uniformity: max 3 min. spread during sterilization • Cycle time reduction
• Standardization: one chamber model capable of sterilizing different can formats (from 80 to 240 g)
• Complete integration into the customer process system and logistics standards
• Reducing product losses during the sterilization cycle due to superheating and/ or inefficient performance thus avoiding reprocessing costs
• Recording/traceability/validation of all processes according to pharmaceutical standards
• Reliable operations around the clock (24/7)
• Most efficient plant layout.
Process knowledge applied in the development of a fully integrated solution for food preservation and throughput maximization.
Fedegari superheated water sterilizers – FOW series (Fig.1) were chosen for improving process
performance and throughput. The choice focused on the simplest, most robust and cost-effective solution
for sterilizing at a wide range of temperatures with the shortest process time. Fedegari designed an unique,
but completely integrated and accurate system. The key for an outstanding performance is the effective
control of temperature and F-value which guarantees the highest uniformity to the sterilization process.
Control efficiency eliminates errors and rejectedloads while operating cost-effectively.
The goal was to guarantee the microbiological target along with thermometric performance, through a new process design capable of offering competitive advantage over conventional alternatives. Besides, an additional
concern was raised regarding the packaging quality. Fig. 1 – Fedegari Superheated Water Sterilizers
Fedegari worked side by side with the customer finding the best chemical reagent to add to the water
process in order to avoid surface corrosion of the different packaging.
- author: Bernuzzi Maria Luisa